Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Move over Thanksgiving...it's time for Christmas

I know I probably offended some people by the title of my post, because Thanksgiving is often times over looked because of the rush of the Christmas season, but honestly, I can't help it....I love Christmas!!! I never really appreciated Thanksgiving as a child, and as an adult not much has changed. Sure I love eating until I can't button my pants, spending time with family and friends, oh, and thinking about the Pilgrims and Indians and counting my blessings, but Christmas is just so much prettier!! I mean look at all the lights....they are everywhere and breath taking. Okay, so I'm only half joking.....but before I go on, I guess I should probably write about our Thanksgiving. We really did have a great time with family. We spend the day at my parents house, had a fabulous dinner, played some games, slept at my brother and sister in-laws house so we could wake up at 4:45am to hit some black Friday sales. I always wonder why in the world we subject ourselves to such torture, but it actually is pretty fun and we do get some good deals. Friday night we had a GNO by first eating at Zuppa's (very tasty), and then going to New Moon. I'm not a die hard Twilight fan, but I really enjoyed the movie. It's also fun just hanging out with many of the girls in my life, and I definitely deserve some girl time!!! ;)
So that was Thanksgiving, now on to Christmas! Mark and I did go a little over board this year, but it's just that since about September every little thing I buy for my kids I save for Christmas (any clothes they are in need of , shoes, even shampoo!). Mark purchased something very big for the boys this year that he is really excited about (more excited than me), but I won't disclose it just yet (in case my 7 year old happens to read this), and it really does deserve a blog post of it's own, for many reasons. Actually we have two big presents that each deserve their own blog post. Now, before I start to sound too materialistic (probably too late), but there is a reason why I do my shopping so early. Get all the shopping done in November and then for the entire month of December we can focus on the true meaning of Christmas, by teaching our children about the the birth of the Savior, and how it is so much more blessed to give than to receive. My siblings decided not to give each other gifts this year, but donate to toys for tots or another organization of our choice. My little family did this last year, and my kids still talk about how we gave the transformer toys away. I also love giving neighbor gifts. I know some people despise that, but it is something I look forward too. I have fabulous neighbors! My house is already decorated and I have been listening to Christmas music for at least a month already. Our kids have their chocolate advent calenders and their red and green paper chains to count down the days until Christmas! We have already watched Mr. Kruger's Christmas and The Grinch! Now I just need to start making some yummy Christmas treats!!!

1 comment:

Kathryn O. said...

Chocolate advent calendars! How hard it was to just eat one per day...